Saturday, March 24, 2007

Who's In Charge Here???

I remember, not so long ago, when my computer was something I didn't use everyday and never thought about when I wasn't on it. My computer was just a tool that served at my command for researching and writing a paper, playing a game of free cell, making a list, getting my mail, listening to itunes. It served me well for these functions, generally did what it was supposed to do, and left me alone. Back then, my computer knew who was the boss, knew that I was in charge of it. What the heck happened??? Somehow, this little marvel of modern technology has me serving at its altar almost 24/7. And, the rare times I am not bowed before its screen, I am thinking about it! It's no longer, "My name is Kerry and I am a digital immigrant". Now it's, "My name is Kerry and I am a digital immigrant computer addict". My computer is running me! Can you believe it? I, who only 9 weeks ago thought I would never survive this class, am now not only surviving, but thriving! Perhaps, thriving too much--as I can't seem to stay away from the computer! It all started with the midterm ppt reflection. I had never done a ppt before so I was a wee bit freaked out. Then, while finding links for our group TH, I found one on ppt. It was a tutorial designed mainly for students and, also, for digital immigrant teachers, like myself.

(PPT Tutorial Site Link: http://www.actden.com/pp/index.htm )

I didn't even have to go through the whole thing. I viewed enough to feel confident to get started. Next thing I knew I was creating my reflection ppt. It wasn't until I started playing with the design (color, fonts, clip art) that I began to become obsessed. I was like a kid at a carnival. "I want to try this, and that, and that, and this...". I was still somewhat under control at this point. It was the discovery of animation that was the cause of my downfall. I was completely and utterly hooked on the whole design aspect. I wanted to call people and offer to do their ppts for them! Right after I finished my reflection ppt, I started on my Change Project ppt for Nature of Schools. I had been dreading this since it was assigned in February, hoping I'd be able to learn enough to type some text in the appropriate places without it taking me forever and a day. How time and a little experience changes one's perspective! I was so happy to have this ppt to do after my reflections were finished. I didn't have to go through immediate withdrawal! It wasn't until I was at the tweaking stage of my Change Project that I realized I had run out of ppts to do! Panic time! Need to create something, preferably that incorporates text with colors, design, art, and animation! Wait a minute...HA4, the one I wasn't going to do because it involved ppt and I can't do ppt...well, that was then-this is now! I can do ppt. In fact, I can't not do ppt! The discovery that I had another fix was such a relief. I loved doing the HA4. It was truly fun and it left me filled with ideas of presenting/introducing lessons using ppt.
I showed my HA4 to my 9 year old son, Adam, and asked what he thought. "Mom, this is awesome. How come my teachers don't ever do this?" followed by, "Do some kids really get to do these presentations on the computer in school?" "Not in your school, not from what I've seen", I answered. Then he said the magic words, "Can you show me how to do this?" Oh, music to my ears! I could teach my son! I forgot that he is a digital immigrant. Within 10 minutes he was flying solo and telling me he didn't need any more help! But, here's the important thing--he loved it and wanted to know why his teachers never use it and why the students can't use it to type reports. On the rare occasion he is required to type something in school, it is always in Word. PPT is such a better venue for kids. The boxes, alone, make it more kid friendly as opposed to staring at a big blank white screen. Adam's question is a valid one...why don't more teachers in his school use ppt for presentations and for student work??? I know that many teachers would say they don't use it for lessons because they don't have the technology available in the classroom. Only a few rooms in my school have smart board technology. However, that doesn't mean you can't use it at all! Take the HA4 I did introducing myself and my students assignment. If I couldn't show it on a big screen, then I would just gather them around one of the classroom computers and I would present it there. Maybe not as big an impact, but my son saw it on the small screen and it still excited him. As for students using ppt, there is no reason why they shouldn't and my class will definitely use it--especially, now that I'm the ppt queen!


Following my ppt frenzy, I realized that I had to create a wiki. A what?? I went online and researched this funny word, going first to wikipedia. I killed two birds with one stone; I now know what a wiki is and what wikipedia is and where it got its name! I have long relied on wikipedia for information, never knowing that the information could be supplied by anyone and their brother (mother, father, sister, friend, boss, . . .)! It always sounds so professional and accurate. Interestingly, a few days later I read a magazine article crediting some college professor for much of the information posted. Whew! That was a relief! Anyway, I found creating my wiki to be easy and fun--almost as good as doing a ppt! I think I was so confident and excited from my ppt success, that I approached the wiki with more of an open mind than I would have before. PBWiki was easy to use, but I did have trouble formatting some of my clip art. Not sure why this was, especially since it was only problematic with certain pieces. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed creating my wiki. I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's wiki's and "leaving editing evidence" of my visit! Please visit my wiki at the link below. The password is pressure

http://underpressure.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

As I mentioned in a previous blog, my Change Project for Nature of Schools involves bringing podcasting technology to the school in which I substitute and which my son attends. I prepared an equipment and cost proposal which I presented to the school principal. In addition to audio, I included video podcasting in the proposal, which requires a video camera and video editing software. It increased the cost by approximately $1,200-$1,500 . I figured that we could always drop down to just audio podcasting, but I wanted the principal to understand the enormity of the return she'd realize from that additional $1,500 expenditure. Video podcasting opens up a whole other world of technology to the students (and teachers!). Digital video is such an integral part of the digital native's world. Video podcasting would allow them to experiment with filming and with digital video editing. In addition, having both would enable more classes to use podcasting simultaneously, with one class using the audio equipment, while another used the video. The principal was familiar with audio podcasts but had never thought of the video component. Bottom line, she loved it and agreed to put in a proposal to the district tech department if I would put together a power point outlining the educational theory, research, and teaching/learning applications of this technology. Did she say power point??? You can't imagine how wonderful it felt to be able to say, "Yes! I can put together a wonderful power point presentation for you!" and really mean it! Can you imagine if she had asked me this a month ago, or even 2 weeks ago? I would have freaked. Anyway, I am thrilled that podcast technology may be coming to this school. I had this really cool idea that if I end up working there I would have my students do a take off on the old radio serials. I would actually use technology to teach them what it was like when there was very little technology, when people would gather around the radio, every week, to listen to what was akin to an audio soap opera. The students could create a story line and write and record monthly installments. I think it could be so much fun and help them develop strong communication and writing skills since the scripts would have to be written to be heard only. They would also develop skills in acting and directing. Will it happen? I'll let you know. But for now, I can dream!

Treasure Hunt
Our group TH was on Integrating Technology in the Classroom. We found many wonderful websites. The hard part was narrowing them down! Thanks to the extra efforts of Joe and Michelle, our TH was a huge success!

Data Sets and Online Tools

  • Technology integration takes time…for teachers to learn and embrace, for schools to support, for curriculum designers to incorporate.
  • Even with the power of technology today, people-to people connections and face-to-face communication are still central to learning.
  • Meaningful discussion skills cannot be developed online.
  • Technological resources need to be brought into the classroom where students can engage in discussions that help them observe and learn the nuances of discussion that are impossible to acquire over the Internet.
  • Teachers must establish effective discussions in the classroom by giving students access to technological data and resources that can be manipulated by students and then discussed and referred to in face-to-face discussions.

    Example of bringing tech data into classroom to teach discussion:
    Raw Data, a Web page teachers and students can use to find interesting and useful educational facts for learning and discussion. One North Carolina teacher used the Raw Data page to teach middle school and high school students about the science of waves while helping them learn such computer skills as keyboarding, database utilization, and spreadsheet creation.
    Once skills are developed, students can participate in effective on-line exchanges.
    There are a number of online tools that can be added to your curriculum to help students develop or test their own hypotheses about a given topic: Lunch Savings Calculator, Universal Currency Converter, Sun Rise/Set Calendar,
    WebCams, and Graphing Tools are just a few.

If you need to reach me, contact my computer as it is now in charge of me! Until next time...

No comments: