Friday, March 2, 2007

We Are the Agents of Change

Digital media in the classroom…I am amazed at the range of tools and applications available today. It is hard to fathom that many schools are already using these on a daily basis, while others, like mine, have none of this technology and, in fact, barely use computers. I was especially struck by Will Richardson’s blog posting regarding what we, as educators, need to “unlearn” in order to meet the needs of students in this digital age. What he suggests is intriguing; educators not as transmitters of information but as connectors to information; classrooms and curriculum not as deliverables, but as extensions; and learning not as an event itself, but as a continual process. Richardson acknowledges that education change is slow and he recognizes the inherent fears that many teachers feel about technology. His advice to educators, to start by becoming a different learner, is sound and doable for anyone. This struck a chord with me because it made me realize that many teachers really do have a tendency to get complacent with a curriculum and style of teaching. And, it’s understandable. This is a very demanding job. But, Richardson is right that teachers must stay students and life long learners. I believe the changes he talks about will occur as more digital natives enter the field of teaching. However, I think it is the administrators who will have to affect true change in the culture of their schools. They will have to support the digital native teachers as they step outside the box and try new things. They will have to encourage others to follow this lead, while providing the tools and training necessary to make it happen. This will ultimately require digital natives in positions of authority and that is what will take some time.

Richardson did inspire me to start thinking how I could implement connectivism and technology into my classroom. Assuming I stay in the Title 1 district that I sub in, this will be a challenge. But, I have begun to realize that
in order to affect change one must start somewhere, however small. Here is what I've come up as a start:

A few teachers in my school do have
smart boards. I would definitely want one and I would use it for lessons, web access, and applicable software programs. I will teach my students how to use it. The ones in my school are basically “hands off” to the students. Mine will be hands on. In fact, the first time I used one last year it was the 3rd grade students who told me what to do from having observed their teacher-so I think they can handle it!
My class will also have a
web site, not one designed and run by me, but one collaboratively created and maintained by my students. WebQuests and Treasure Hunts will be ongoing activities. When work is done in my class, I won’t tell my students to read a book, I’ll tell them to work on their webquest! Remember, you don't even have to design one if time or fear are stopping you. There are hundreds of brilliant webquests on line that you can use in your classroom--so there is really no reason not to being this! And digital storytelling—I love this! And DigiTales is a great site. (http://www.digitales.us/resources/seven_steps.php) Even if you can’t actually make a film, it has individual elements that you can still use effectively.
Speaking of
films, I would also bring in my video camera and camera stand. I did this when my son was in first grade and I was subbing in his class. It was at the end of the year and I had the idea that the class could make a little “goodbye” film for their teacher. The kids all came up with what they wanted to say and they each took turns filming each other and, at the end, they got into a big group (their idea!) and yelled out “Goodbye”. I put this on a cassette, including all the mistakes and do-overs because they were so funny, and the kids gave it to their teacher on the last day of school. She loved it! Do you know, when I see or sub for kids from that class, who are now in 4th grade, they still ask when I will bring in the camera again! They loved it!

This is just a start, but it’s a start! All of these things are easily doable and can be built upon. Better yet, I think it will make teaching easier. I so fear teaching math because I see the kids now and they are all over the place in terms of learning style, comprehension and ability. Then I think about the many math
SW programs I could use with varying techniques on the same subject, and I feel excited and invincible! And for students who have computers and internet access at home, I will give them fun learning websites they can visit to increase their skills in areas where needed—something not one of my son’s teachers has ever done in his 5 years in school. That’s really sad (and inexcusable) when you think about it.

In keeping with Sir Ken Roberston's plea, in his podcast on TEDTALKS, that we stop educating from the "waist up" and educate the "whole" being, I will incorporate
yoga into my classroom--at the very least, the breathing and relaxation elements. Done correctly and consistently, I believe that yoga can have a positive impact on anger, lethargy, depression, and hyperactivity. Better yet, it is a lifetime tool. For those who missed this video podcast, I strongly urge you to watch it. Robinson is witty, engaging, and most of all, right on target regarding education!
http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=ken_robinson

Perhaps the most important thing I plan to do is to share my technological hits and misses with other teachers. I have observed that some teachers like to hoard their special talents and knowledge, making it seem that only they can do this. Then, there are other teachers who believe they can’t do something (like technology), and become jealous of the others who can, and more steadfast in their resistance to it. Not me! I will encourage anyone who is interested by showing them how easy it is. I will appreciate their fears, slowness, and need for repeated instruction—because I am the same way. I will share anything I’ve bought, learned, or created with anyone who wants it. That is how you begin to change a culture! And that is how, little by little, person by person, technology, integration literacy, and web 2.0 will start making their way into all of our schools. We are the agents of change. How we handle this knowledge and convey it to others, will determine its success.
Digital natives need to understand how daunting technology is to digital immigrants and to less experienced digital natives. They tend to speak fast and in jargon that is Greek to the less experienced. And they tend to expect those they’re instructing to “get it” immediately. Patience and repetition are key—otherwise we will scare off those who are willing to try. It is not unlike what Ken Robinson said in his podcast about how we teach children that “mistakes are bad”. This not only kills creativity as Sir Robinson believes, it also kills desire and motivation. So, please, all of you wonderfully talented digital natives that are going out into the educational world, be as patient with the adults you are instructing as you are with your students—know that it may be tedious, frustrating, and slow going. But, know that if you don't scare them off, it will make all the difference in the world!

Moving on to
inquiry based learning:

The best information was on the YouthLearn site.
This site communicates inquiry-based learning/teaching in clear, understandable, and usable terms. I was especially impressed with their statement:

It may be that traditional education will start becoming more and more like inquiry-based learning over time. Why? Because an inquiry-based approach is more web-like in how students pursue knowledge, as opposed to the linear, vertical and compartmentalized structure of traditional education. As the web-like Internet increasingly permeates society and education, the traditional structures will have to adapt to the forms of the new media.

This is completely in line with everything we are learning in this class. In addition, this site has other great links, including one on How to Create an Inquiry-based Project, and another excellent one on Teaching About and With Technology. Here is some of my favorite advice from this link:

Always integrate technology into your larger learning goals, not the other way around

When you do find kids who know a little more, are a bit more adventurous, or are more engaged by a technology, use them!

Trust the kids. Model thoroughly, then trust them!

Never explain things too deeply—you want to give the kids plenty of room to explore. Remember, your goal is not to create PowerPoint experts, it's to teach core curriculum skills and help kids understand the many communication, research, and creativity tools they have at their disposal. Good critical thinking is more important than technological excellence.

WebQuests & Treasure Hunts:
This quote, from Education World, regarding the effectiveness of constructivist technology learning, (i.e. webquests, treasure hunts) says it all:
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius

The internet abounds with webquests--including info on why to use them and how to create them. Two excellent sites are:

http://www.bernardsboe.com/wams/academics/isaacs/webquests/index.html

http://webquest.org/search/

Until next time...

No comments: